Christian Climate Action is a community of Christians supporting each other to take meaningful action in the face of imminent and catastrophic anthropogenic climate breakdown. Inspired by Jesus Christ, and social justice movements of the past, we carry out acts of non-violent direct action to urge those in power to make the change needed.
- Here is our short leaflet about who we are
- Here is the same thing in duplicate for printing as an A5 flyer
Purpose of Christian Climate Action:
- To raise the alarm about the urgency and scale of the climate crisis facing God’s creation
- Taking meaningful action to tackle the issue
- To communicate the key role that Christians and the church can play in this climate emergency
- To demonstrate the power of non-violent direct action in change-making
- To create safe spaces for people to emotionally process the effects this climate emergency has already caused to our planet and what it threatens to destroy if we carry on as business as usual.
Our Principles and Values:
OUR GOD IS LOVING: Our God is the creator who cares about creation
WE ACT IN LOVE: God calls us to love our neighbours, our enemies and our God – we must do all things in love.
WE ARE CALLED TO PARTICIPATE IN BRINGING ABOUT A RENEWED WORLD: Creating a world that is fit for generations to come.
OUR ALLEGIANCE IS TO GOD: Where there is a choice between obeying God and obeying the law of the land, we chose to obey God.
WE SET OUR MISSION ON WHAT IS NECESSARY: Mobilising enough of the population to take meaningful action in order to achieve system change.
WE ARE CALLED TO BE FAITHFUL, NOT SUCCESSFUL: None of us are perfect for tackling the climate emergency, but there is no time to wait until we are. We are called to tell the truth about the emergency we are in and to faithfully act now.
WE TAKE ACTION IN A SPIRIT OF REPENTANCE: We acknowledge we are part of the problem that we are fighting against and come to our actions in repentance and prayer.
WE NEED A REGENERATIVE CULTURE: Creating a culture which is healthy, resilient and adaptable.
WE OPENLY CHALLENGE OURSELVES AND THIS TOXIC SYSTEM: Leaving our comfort zones to take action for change.
WE VALUE REFLECTING AND LEARNING: Following a cycle of action, reflection, learning, and planning for more action. Learning from other movements and contexts as well as our own experiences.
WE WELCOME EVERYONE AND EVERY PART OF EVERYONE: Working actively to create safer and more accessible spaces.
WE ACTIVELY MITIGATE FOR POWER: Breaking down hierarchies of power for more equitable participation.
WE AVOID BLAMING AND SHAMING: We live in a toxic system, but no one individual is to blame.
WE ARE A NON-VIOLENT NETWORK: As Jesus did, we use non-violent strategy and tactics as the most effective way to bring about change.
WE ARE BASED ON AUTONOMY AND DECENTRALIZATION: We collectively create the structures we need to challenge power.
Anyone who follows these core principles and values can take action in the name of Christian Climate Action.