***Save the Dates***
Sat 9th– Sun 17th April
+ the following weekends: 23rd-24th April, 30th April-1st May, 7th-8th May
Christian Climate Action will be joining Extinction Rebellion on the streets of London from 9th April to demand an end to the fossil fuel economy, calling on the government to end fossil fuel investments. XR is aiming to see thousands on the streets engaging in non-violent direct action and civil disobedience. As CCA we’d like to see as many Christians on the streets as possible.
Millions of people have woken up to the environmental crisis and are looking for a framework in which to make sense of what is happening. At Christian Climate Action we believe that the Church has something prophetic and powerful to say about the destruction of God’s creation and are encouraging churches to step up to fill this need.
We’ll have information on this webpage in the coming weeks about accommodation and opportunities to meet with other CCA Rebels during the Rebellion.
What can you do right now?
- Save as many of the above dates as possible. Check your diary. Book time off work and study. Arrange childcare. Whatever you need to do to ensure you’re free. Details of what we’re doing might arrive last minute, but there will definitely be things to do on these dates if you make space in your diary.
- Get your train and bus tickets. Everything begins in Hyde Park on 9th April, but book your transport for whichever days and times you can do. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need financial help with transport.
- Let us know if you want to be involved from home. We’re organising an online vigil during the Rebellion. We also always need a number of people to take on admin and back office roles from home which are invaluable in supporting those on the streets.
- Read more about the Rebellion on XR’s website.
- Invite your Church on the 9th April. We are planning a Church-friendly first day of the rebellion. We invite you and your Church for a day of prayers and hymns for creation on the 9th April in Hyde Park. Let’s take our faith our from the pews and into the wider world. If you’ve always wanted to come to a Rebellion but have felt apprehensive about doing so then this is an opportunity to Rebel and worship with other Christians.
- Bring money for food. Food is often provided for free at protests but you should bring some money in case you need to buy some meals.
- Let us know you’re coming. Email: email@example.com
- Let us know if you need accommodation: firstname.lastname@example.org. We have crashpad-style available (think church floor with a sleeping bag).
- Promote the Rebellion. Below are some posters that you can print out and hang up in our church, places or work or anywhere else you so wish.
- Attend Know Your Rights training. It’s really important to know your legal rights around protest, regardless of whether or not you intend to get arrested. There’s a video from XR Legal or you can attend training running on Zoom on these dates: Thursday 24th March, 18.30 – 20.00: https://xrb.link/La7LmS and Thursday 31st March, 18.30 – 20.00: https://xrb.link/hr0Wb9
- Attend Non Violent Direct Action training run by XR.